Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Keeping the cars going. Body work and general repair.

Well, this is a catchall post.  Lets start with my trusty DT-02.


Look at that rear wing.  How about those CVA shocks.  Lets fix that.

First off, the wing.  It's seen better days.  It's deeply cracked, and torn.  E6000 and fiberglass and... the thing is good enough for me.



Tamiya branded shocks, are really expensive.  Yeah Racing is a bit less so.  ... A lot less so. 



That's a whole lot of parts.  First lets remove and clean the old shocks.



Something doesn't look right there.  Both the dirt and.. that's a bent tie rod. 



I didn't get any pictures of building the shocks.  But if you look behind the car in this shot...



Hey, swaybars.  Installed.  And the Yeah Racing shocks, with the full soft tamiya springs. 


The Euro Truck needed some work too.  More E6000 and fiberglass.  That repair held up quite well.

So the FF03 wasn't happy with either the stock springs, or even the aftermarket springs.  The damping was waaaay off.  So my first swing at fixing that, was just tweaking the CVA shocks.


From 2 hole, to 3 hole.



Sadly, it wasn't enough.  


So the fix, is a set of Yeah Racing shocks.  Ever since putting the Tamiya metal body shocks on the TT02b, I've been sold on metal body shocks.  I wanted to be serious with my FF03, so going with metal body shocks seems to be the right thing.


I also painted a new body for my TC4.  A Plymouth Barracuda. 






The TT02b got new shoes.  Removing the old tires was... not easy.


If you'd like to copy my tire profiles, here's how I trimmed the inserts.

First, sharp scissors.


Then trimming for width. 



Cutting the corners to help the tire keep its shape.


Here's what the rear inserts look like.


And.. a new set of tires, ready to go.  Oh, hi phillip defranco.


The car was glitching rather badly, the last time I took the car out.  The vreg in the ESC was, for lack of another word, poo.  So I replaced that ESC with one of the "blue 120amp" 


And a heatsink for the motor.

I think it's a pretty slick looking install.  








1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete