Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Going flying, for real.

So, I'm breaking down. For years I've dreamed of flying. And I am going to make it reality.

Back in high school a friend and I were going to build a set of hummelbirds.

Hummel Aviation


The problem then, was the Light Sport Aircraft license wasn't around, so there were a few hurdles to overcome. Well, as usual, plans are plans, and they sometimes pop and go away.

After doing some research, I happened upon the Affordaplane. The design seemed sane, and seemed like it would be easily under part 103 ultralight weight. I ordered the plans, joined the mailing lists, and started doing lots of math.

Cutting to the chase, I found the mailing lists to be caustic. The plane (even the prototype) builds up overweight. And.. well.. to make it work, it's going to take a lot of work. So, due to the condition of the community, I decided I needed to step up and collect information. I started a new blog. The Affordaplane Resource

I am building an ultralight. It will likely have it's base in the affordaplane. But it isn't going to closely follow the plan.

The next step is to take some flying lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment