Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Maker Knife - The best utility knife.

So, my favorite, maybe second favorite sweede is this guy named David Windenstal.  I got introduced to him through the great people at Flite Test.  Following his things on youtube, lead me to find out about this guy Gaico Whatever. 

.....  Well Gaico and David did a thing.  A kickstarter came up a few months ago, about a new kind of utility knife.  One that locks out positively, easily retracts, swaps blades easily, and well... does all the things right that Stanley doesn't. 

My knife arrived.  I suspect it's Gaico's who's the artist here, and the artsy vibe drips off this product, everywhere.  The first example is this, the bubble packing:



Inside the bubble packing, I got a whole lot more than I was bargining for.  I expected the well packaged knife, but it also came with some stickers.  The best one is the gift sticker.  An offical transfer of ownership. 

And.. that might actually mean something given how well this thing is made.



Ok, onto the packaging.  



The red seal "might" be the best part of the packaging.  "Make your last, bad, cut here"





Clean, well made box, with proper labeling all over.  Lets go inside.

Opening the box, you get the foam cradle for the kinfe, and, foam glued to the top of the box.  Usually the foam bit is a separate piece.  I like that it's glued.  Attention to detail is everywhere.





Giving credit where credit is due.  A nice touch.  I keep saying that.  I guess that's because this thing is covered in nice touches.  

Speaking of which, they give you a screwdriver to take care of the adjustments on the knife.  I think the worst thing I can say, is that there's three kinds of fastener head on the knife.... 



Under the foam tray, you get the instructions, some spare screws, and a band-aid.  Again, a thoughtful touch.


So lets look at the knife.  






The actuation is with the ring in the handle.  It slips in and out with all of the satisfying click of a well worn in lockblade knife. 

Mine had some trouble...  and needed tuning beyond the two adjustment screws, but in the end, I got mine working properly.  Gaico's support was helpful, and while not "fast" there is no such thing as a utility knife emergency that's not best fixed with a trip to the hospital. 

I'd totally buy one again.



At some point, I'll show how the locking mechanism works.  But I'll give that a while :-)  It's clever, I like it.  Kudos to Gaico and crew for doing that so well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment