Monday, May 14, 2018

Fixing more bad ESCs. This time it's vregs.

A couple years ago, my buddy and I built some TT02b's.  In those TT02b's we put some 13.5turn motors with these Turnigy 80amp ESCs.  Both my friend an I were having some rather strange behaviors coming from output voltage to the radios.

The BEC voltage on this ESC is provided by a SOT23 package linear LDO regulator of dubious quality.  Enough, that I decided to try swapping it out.  



The ESC is built as a sandwich, and if you separate the case top and bottom, you can access the control board and the high power boards separately.  I used some silicone servo extension wire to run the three pads from the stock vreg, out to a new TO220 package regulator.  The practical benefit being, that TO220 can dissipate a lot more power, and for $0.80 cents or so, the ESC now has 5amps of 5v power.


I still recommend running a glitch buster on your receiver.  Clean power, and decoupling closer to the ground point that matters more, is always better.  But now this ESC can happily power say... a savox servo with no questions and no brownouts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment