Thursday, September 1, 2016

Adding FPV to a normal Micro Radian

E-Flite released a UMX Radian with a FPV camera on it.  I thought this was a great idea, but I really didn't like the idea of spending $99 on top of the cost of the glider for a $40 camera and a $7 mount.  

So the first step to adding FPV to a micro plane, is to get power for the camera.  That means cracking open your bird.  The canopy is held on with "just" tape.  The tape to use for putting it back together is Scotch brand 1/2" clear tape.  The glossy stuff.

The UMX radian has a additional speed control board.  There's three pins that feed it, and my pencil is pointing at it.  


The center pin is battery positive, and the pin nearest the sockets is ground.

I bought a bunch of eflite mini JST plug extension wires.  So I cut one in half and slipped it through the canopy.  To put a hole in the canopy, use a normal 3/32" drill bit and spin it in your fingers.

I taped the wires to the inside of the canopy.  Then I soldered the wires to the reciever.

And there we go, a plug on the top of my glider to power a FPV camera.  The factory FPV camera mount is $7 from E-Flite.  Or you can just hotglue your camera on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment